Yesterday Weston got a little pink from sitting out watching the parade. Then he came home and crashed his trike riding at full speed down our long steep driveway and got some minor cuts and bruises on his face. Typical Weston moment. Then last night we were at our friend's for their 4th of July party. I took the kids into the bathroom to change into their swimsuits and on our way out the door I stopped to peek at the game going on in the kitchen. As I stepped outside Emma comes running over yelling, "Weston's drowning!" Except she's excited so I think maybe she's kidding or dramatic but run to the pool anyway. And sure enough he's underwater! I quickly jump in (fully clothed) and pull him out. He coughs up some water and whimpers for awhile, clinging to me. He was fine but he didn't go back into the pool last night. I sat down with him, kinda shaky, trying to figure out what just happened. After sitting awhile it occurred to me that I had something bulky in my pocket and I remember I had our camera in my pocket. Camera's don't like water. Before it's immersion, the camera had a fuzzy screen and I could never tell what I was getting until I put the pictures on the computer so I was starting to get itchy to buy a new one. But I was talking myself into being a good frugal girl and waiting until it was completely dead. I'm thinking by tomorrow (unless my tearing apart and drying efforts prove successful) I can officially pronounce the time of death. Don't get me wrong I was really trying to make the thing last but this makes it a little easier. At least it died nobley.
Sunday, July 5, 2009
Casualties
I've been wanting to upgrade our camera. I LOVE taking pictures and photography is just awesome and I want to learn how to do it well. Originally I had this plan of doing all the research to decide what camera I was looking for, then watching prices and waiting for the right deal to come along to buy. But I'm not sure how long I can go with NO camera. These kids have too high a cute photo-op frequency. So, long post, but I want to ask everyone what kind of camera you have and what you like about it and what you would recommend I get. And in the future I will keep my kids and my electronics away from the pool!!!

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
This may be a no brainer for someone with a maiden name like yours, but definitely get a Canon camera. That's all I'll say. They have proved themselves in this hou'.
First of all, I'm glad that Weston is okay and this wasn't a sad post to read.
We have a Pentax Optio that has lasted over 4 years and has no signs of giving up on us soon! It's waterproof, so if any instances like this were to happen again there would be no worries. Not only is it waterproof, it has a sturdy exterior that has held up to many drops, by me and the kids. I know there are other brands of waterproof digital cameras, and they probably have the same durability as this one does.
Scary!! I am so glad that he is alright...poor little guy! My Dad always makes fun of me because I jumped in the pool, fully clothed, when my 18 year old, blind dog fell in. I think your story is a little more serious, but drowning in any form is super scary to me.
Anyway, I second the Canon camera. That is the brand my parents have, and their camera takes amazingly nice photos!
Yep, EBN has it right! Love my Canon SLR! VERY, VERY GLAD Dr. Emma was on alert and Weston is okay. Way to go Dr. Emma!
Our camera is a Canon Power Shot SD850. Nate recommended the Power Shot to us, although he had an earlier model. It takes video, can replay in slow-mo, can take close-ups and panaramas, and can take black and white photos and paint those photos with desired colors (that was the feature of Nate's that appealed to us most). Ours even took a dunking (while we were on spring break, Jesse fell into the river) and a fall to the ground with no problems resulting. We got a good deal on ours at Costco. Happy shopping.
I'm glad that Em is still watching our for everyone, and all's well. I have a Kodak Easy Share, takes good pitcures and videos. Small enough to keep in pocket. It's been bery, bery good to me.
Hmmmmm, Emma halts near drowning .... a dead camera. What a quick change of topic :) I also use a Kodak Easy Share but the Cannon takes high quality pics, just bigger and not as easily carried - won't fit in your pocket.
I'm glad Weston made it out okay!
I have a Nikon Coolpix. Big bang for your buck. Small, great megapixel (a lot like 8 or something). The cannon elf is also a really good too, They are comparable, but I like the Nikon better (okay so it was ten bucks cheaper). I had a professional recommend those types and I have loved them. PS Reading the direction book really helps taking better pictures (I was surprised by this fact)
Oh my gosh! So scary! My stomach feels sick. Thank goodness for Emma. What a good big sister. Afton once saved Evan in the bathtub. I went out for a second when he was little, and sure enough he went under and Aton grabbed his head and saved him. SO scary how quickly stuff happens.
Sorry to rush past the Weston drowning story and focus on my camera. I certainly value my son more and appreciate Emma's heroics but I figure if I can get everyone thinking about camera they will forget to complain about my bad parenting.
Post a Comment