Thursday, October 8, 2009

Victoria Lane

Jamie has been going down to do service with the church for flood victims the last couple weekends (after working a 60 hour work week, poor guy :o( But you know what they say about sacrifice...). So he calls two Sundays ago (yeah, you can assume pretty much everything I post actually happened more than a week ago)
Jamie: "How you doing?"
Me: ""I'm okay."
Jamie: "well you better be really okay for what I'm about to tell you."
Me: "What?"
Jamie: "Well, I'm down here and it's just a mess! These houses are ruined, people's lives are destroyed. So, you know, my heart's all filled with compassion and all..."
Me: "What have you done?"
Jamie: "Well, there was this dog that the firefighters rescued from the floods and the lady organizing things begged me to take it for a few days while they wait to see if the owner comes looking for it. And I said I couldn't because we can't have pets at our rental. But she kept begging so I called the landlord and he said keep it in the backyard. So I'm bringing home a dog."
(note that there's no discussion here, I was just told)
I can't remember what I said at this point, but suffice it to say I wasn't giddy with excitement but I was also too stunned and rushed to "lay down the law". See, I've had pets before, no dogs, but I know my pet history has proved I am not a good pet person. And I can't even handle my three kids, how am I gonna take care of a dog?! But Jamie, he didn't grow up with pets so he's still that little kid who thinks it will all be fun and promises to take care of it. Remember how I said Jamie's been working 60-hour workweeks not to mention he's ward mission leader and all the time that entails (Don't get me wrong I totally support this. I'm glad to see him supporting his family and doing the Lord's errand) so you can guess who's taking care of the dog. Yes, Jamie is filled with compassion and I love his big heart but we (myself included) need to learn when to just say no.
Jamie found her on Victoria Lane so that's what he named her but we call her Tori (or actually we call her crazy dog most the time). She jumps high and jumps on everyone when they come out to see her. She's completely obsessed with shoes and runs between my legs gnawing at my shoes while I'm out there. The kids are scared of her now and hide in the treehouse from the "monster"when they're out there. She knocks them to the ground and "chews" on them. Tori's not mean she's just a playful puppy. Emma runs through the yard screaming in terror that the dog's trying to eat her (seriously, screams of absolute terror). The other day Emma was wearing pink ribbons in her pigtails and Tori was jumping on Emma's back biting at the ribbons. So now, no one will go in the backyard with the killer so Tori lays on the back porch looking utterly depressed and making her all the more desperate when someone does come out. It's very sad and I feel like an awful person but I just don't know what to do with this dog! I think she could be a great dog with some training but I just don't have the time and patience for training a dog (training my children is killing me as it is and there are eternal blessings attached to that job). Did I mention I'm not really a pet person? I like animals but I know it's better for them not to be with me. Anyone know someone that wants a dog?!!!

5 comments:

Tricia and Aaron said...

I would take her. Carol S. probably would too, but I'm thinking we're a bit too far for that. Sorry- good luck finding her a home or her owners.

Carol Swift said...

Haha! Tricia is so funny! I really would help out, but my three rescued dogs have driven me to the edge of insanity (and I'm a dog person.) Ask an older kid in your neighborhood to take the dog for a walk everyday--looks like it just has a ton of energy that needs to be used up.

Unknown said...

Awe, you guys are so great to do that. I wish that we could take the dog from you--it would be fun to have another dog for our monster to play with! Good luck with finding her a good home!

Ron said...

Ha! Once you name her, she's yours...that's the rule. Cute dog and way to go Jamie, just say, "Woman, I AM bringing home a dog." (prozac for the Tori)

Shayla said...

So what's the update on this? Are you still dog owners? Better you than me! *feels the dirty looks from Tricia and Carol and Steph*