"Yeah huh! Mormons are too Christians!"
Much has been said over the past few months on both sides about whether or not Mormons are Christians. And although the debate seems to me a bit childish sometimes, it is an important one. LDS leaders have repeatedly encouraged church members to speak up and to assert their belief in Christ and His role in Heavenly Father's plan for us. Just yesterday during General Conference we were told that we should not let others define our beliefs for us.
A couple of months ago, I was pondering this topic during a Sunday School lesson that I should have been paying attention to. Instead, I wrote the following thoughts on the matter in my Sunday Journal:
It is strange to me when individuals who know little or nothing about my character, let alone my personal relationship with the Savior, presume to know whether or not I am a Christian. What mortal man, unacquainted with my heart and mind, could ever adequately pass such a judgment? I hope and believe that those who personally know me consider me a Christian. I hope they see and feel that. One thing is certain - unlike mortal man with his prejudice and ignorance, Jesus Christ Himself knows whether or not I am a Christian.
6 comments:
well felt and better spoken. this would warm the cockles of my heart in the extreme, had i not lost them to a surgical procedure some years ago.
amen!
word! well said, i always correct people when they say i'm not a christian, but i know i am so ultimately it doesn't matter what they think!
I quite appreciated Elder Holland's two recent conference talks on the subject. Rather than just defending why it is we really are Christians, he made it more clear why people are so "convinced" we're not. It's because we embrace the truth of Christ's identity as God's literal son and our loving older brother and savior. Also, that we believe that God loves us enough to continue to speak to us today, and that Jesus Christ still lives. Sounds like Christian doctrine to me! But you're right, even believing Christian doctrine doesn't mean we're going to live it. It's who we are and what we do with the truths we've been given that make us worthy to be counted Christian.
You said it much better.
Elder Jameson V. Steed of the Seventy *sounds excellent*
Cockles?!?! Bahahahaha! I've never heard that word before, it cracks me up!
On a diff. note, isn't it awesome when your personal impressions become General Conf. topics in the next session? Makes me feel good. Well said brotha Steed.
Post a Comment