Monday, August 4, 2008

The Price of Happy Children

I sent the kids to play in the basement while I went to put Andrew down for a nap today. They were still playing quietly down there when I came out so I took advantage of the chance to jump on the computer. After some time I finshed what I was doing and realized that the kids were still happily playing (by this time someone would usually be in tears and screaming). I decided I better check in on them. This is how I found the playroom-

Holy cow they got out every toy in there (well, almost) and had moved on to ride bikes in the "bike room" (the barren part of the basement where we keep the bikes and cars). Luckily, we have an organized system for toys (see http://themomclub.blogspot.com/2008/07/making-clean-up-less-of-chore.html) and 30 minutes later, including a break for a diaper change and working with an imaginative 4-year-old (everything has to gallop, fly, or drive to its place) and an easily-distracted toddler, the room looked like this-
It's the biggest clean-up we've done in awhile but was worth it because my kids were playing nicely together and enjoying each other! Yes, this is how desperate I am to help my kids get along!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

No kidding. I look forward to when Jensen is a little bigger and can really play with Carter. He's just such a little guy, it's too easy to beat up on him.

Jodi Jean said...

holy crap!!! yeah ... my living room looks like that most days. i guess i better check out the mom blog and figure out a system!!