Saturday, April 4, 2009

Ready for School

Emma's been asking me how long until she gets to go to school. She knows it's coming up soon and she's excited because she loves learning and being a big girl. And she's definitely ready. She's reading, writing, counting, and doing addition and subtraction. She's growing up and has a couple missing teeth to give her a big girl smile. And she knows who she is and what's right. The only problem is, I'm not sure I'm ready.
When we go out I tote my three kids and the boy I babysit through the store and library and a lot of people make comments about how I must be excited for her to go to school because one less child will lighten my load. The truth is, having her around lightens my load, literally and figuratively. Emma's a wonderful helper. She wants to be a mommy one day so she's practicing taking care of kids and doing mommy things. She tells this to me all the time as she helps cook, read to the boys, gives hugs, and cleans. One day Weston fell while walking home with the neighbors. He had quite a bump and Emma layed on the couch with him and lovingly held an ice pack on his head (pictured below). She sings and dances for Andrew to make him happy during diaper changes and tries to teach Weston how to read and do other big kid stuff.
Click for larger image

Emma's a happy helper and good at it too. She hangs up the shirts and puts her clothes away, cleans the bathrooms and mirrors, puts dishes away, vacuums, puts up toys and books (the right way), sets the table, and all the while smiles knowing this is good "mommy practice." The only downside is the boys have taken a backseat and allow Emma to clean up for them and have gotten lazy. Scared of what this house will look like when Emma goes to school, I've encouraged Emma to teach the boys to clean rather than clean for them. Now she shows them where the toys go and how to put the books up. She will be a great mother! She's a great friend to the boys and I think Weston especially will be lost and sad without her. She's imaginative and acts out big adventure with him. She often dictates every line for him, including arguments.

Emma makes me happy! Not just because she helps so much but she's just delightful! She's witty and cute and just makes me smile. I'm always impressed and pleased with how much she remembers, how quickly she learns and her love for the gospel. I fear I come across as favoring her over my boys because of the amount of blogspace devoted to her. The boys are cute and fun and I adore them but Emma's quotable and easier to describe in writing.

I'm gonna miss this little girl! But I want her to make friends and learn things from other people and learn how to get along with others and stand up for what's right. Emma has this strength and light about her that I know will make her a great little missionary. How could I deprive the world of that? I think school needs Emma just as much as Emma needs school.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Diane said...

I forgot that she gets older, even though we don't see her anymore. We don't have to many girls in our family, so they are special...

Shayla said...

I wish I had an Emma too.

Sam said...

Can you send Emma to live with us for a month so she can rub off on Britta? Sounds like Emma has learned a lot of great stuff from a great mom.

i said...

nice to run into your blog again. i loved to read all of her cute stories! any time i saw that pic i read. i can see why you'll miss her. i am totally feeling the same about my boy and he's not all that helpful...but is really cute!. :0)