Not too long ago, I remember spending most of my church time Sundays in the foyer or mother's lounge feeding a baby or calming a grumpy toddler (or sometimes both). And there were weeks you start to think, "why am I here? Even the rare moments when I am sitting in a meeting, I'm usually using all my attention to keep my lil' one quiet so others can hear." But we went, every week we went and joined the army of weary parents for our "sabbath worship." And we drag the kids in for scripture study at night, family prayer in the morning and Family Home Evening every week. And you ask questions like "what happened when Jesus was baptized?" and your four-year-old tells you, "his hair got wet" and your two-year-old meanwhile is screaming for his cup. But the next night, the next week you do it all again. Why? Well, maybe some of Emma's artwork can tell it better...
"I love prayer. I love church"
(that's Emma praying in her house)
(that's Emma praying in her house)
I don't read scripture stories to my kids anymore. No I didn't give up, Emma took over the job and reads the children's illustrated scripture stories to us every night. One night I came in her room to find her reading this Book of Mormon. See that bookmark? That's how much she read and there's a good-sized paragraph on each page.
At church now, Emma follows along in the hymnal and sings with us.
At church now, Emma follows along in the hymnal and sings with us.
"I know that love is important and..."
3 comments:
so cute. I love that Emma.
I hear what you mean about wondering if it's all worth it. My boys are just old enough that I'm enjoying it again. (although. . . I guess I still spend sacrament meeting in the mother's room with Eliza. But at least it's just her. I used to have to haul my misbehaving toddlers in there too!)
Those same thoughts no doubt go through every mom's/dad's head when dealing with little kids. It all pays off, somehow. Must be some kind of plan....but we don't have the play-book. :-)
I love that perspective. I also love that Julie read this with me- as I was being inspired by your example to me, she was being inspired by Emma's example to her. Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment