As I was going through my Christmas pics, I was bothered by an obvious flaw. Where are the Steeds? We saw them over Christmas and had good times and truly love them as much as these picture-hog Cannons. Being a Cannon I worried I was subconsciously being biased and had to do some self-introspection. But then I discovered the pics on my old camera and felt a little better. And I reminded myself that a) I had my camera always accessible with the Cannon clan whereas I had to remember to bring and pull out the camera at the Steeds and b) My family seems to have a photography fascination- my brother Nate is really quite amazing and Jesse is right next to me trying to capture all the kid's playtime. We even had conversations about photography. The Steeds are less obsessed and I feel silly kneeling down in front of everyone, in their face snapping pictures and I think they would be less than thrilled about that invasion and I am not not good enough at photography to justify such a move. c)Pictures are generally something you take at events or activities. My family is into scheduling activities when we get together. We have a weird need to have something planned and organized for each day. Maybe it's the size of our family (22 people with no plan is kinda dangerous) or maybe it's that we only see each other once or twice a year now or maybe it's just a sickness but we are activity people. The Steeds aren't as big of planned event kinda people when it comes to family time. They just get together and enjoy each other ("just" here not indicating plain or boring but rather simple, refreshing, and unassuming). I think part of it is that they all live here so getting together isn't a limited, organized event. And part of it is that they are mostly adults that can enjoy sitting and talking and sharing stories and humorous anecdotes, not so much kiddy entertainment needed. The point is, you take pictures of activities like talent shows and hikes but it would be a bit awkward to pull out a camera and start shooting pictures of someone as they tell you about their week. So although those times are just as memorable and fun, they're not exactly picture-appropriate material.
So after the incredibly long intro. I did get some pics with the Steeds. We had our first Steed nativity reenactment. And it went over well. With four boys and one girl to choose from, Emma was a shoe-in for the part of Mary and every child had a major role. the oldest cousin, who is quite taken with Emma, stood by her side as Joseph. this left one child each for the parts of the angel, wise man, and shepherd. And being at a boys' house the best Baby Jesus we could find was Curious George.
Younger cousin was less than enthused about my costume designing but he made his stage appearance.
Weston was drowning in his wise man robe
Emma beamed with pride at the importance of her part.

0 comments:
Post a Comment