Saturday, January 10, 2009

Dr. Emma on Vacation

So as most of you know, we drove to Las Vegas for Christmas. Thus the long blogging strike. It took us three days driving to get there so we saw a lot of new places. Here's some of the cute things that my kids said on this adventure:

Driving through Flagstaff
Me-"We're in Flagstaff now."
Emma
- "Flagstuff?....The earth has lots of pretty places with silly names!"

We spent the night at my brother's in Dallas. The next day we drove from Dallas to Albuquerque. After the long first leg we stopped in Amarillo.
Me- "Jamie"
Weston- "James?"

Emma-"Yeah, remember James in Texas. Well we're not in Texas anymore that was this morning. We left Texas and now we're going to a hotel."
Me-"Uh...actually Emma we're still in Texas."
Emma- "WHAT!!!" (thinking her parents must be lost)

I guess we've been in the flatlands of Georgia too long because when we drove through the mountains at Hoover Dam Weston looked out his window and pointed to a mountain and said, "look mom, a big bump!" and as we kept driving he'd coo, "cute, cute mountains."

I can't remember what brought this on but Emma told her uncles on the way home from church, "if you throw up in someone's hands, it drips." (she knows this because all three kids were sick the week before we left).

Emma told every family member that listened, "you have to drive three days to come see us."

Andrew- "Cars! Cars! Cars!"

We drove to my brother's in Dallas again for New Years Eve so I tried to explain New Years to Emma at a rest stop.
Me- "Well today's 2008 but tommorrow will be a new year. It will be 2009."
Emma- (pondering this) "What do we do in 2009? Will it be fun?" (I hope so Em)

Jamie got "Good and Plenty" in his stocking that he shared with the kids while they pulled out their new toys when we got home.
Emma- "That candy makes us think about God."
Jamie- "Why's it make you think about God."
Emma- "Because he's the Savior."
a minute later-"Give some to Weston because he needs to think about God. He just thinks about trains."

7 comments:

Megan Dougherty said...

"giggle, giggle, giggle", that is me laughing at how cute your kids are!!

The John Hollingshaus Family said...

Hillarious!

Shayla said...

Love those kids!

p.s. I think all your blogger friends need to have the privilege of hearing Andrew say "cars" and/or "crackers." It's seriously the cutest thing ever.

Carol Swift said...

You have such cute kids and that little Emma is hysterical! It was so good to see them live and in person. I have always liked Good and Plenty's, but now I think I like them even more thanks to Dr. Emma!

Ron said...

Glad you had a safe drive. I remember a few drives across county as a kid. Too bad you didn't stop at Carol's niece's house in Flagstuff... at least a hot chocolate break? Nice seeing y'all at Christmas.

Angie Larkin said...

I'm glad they all got sick BEFORE Christmas and three day car trips...could you imagine? You do such a good job remembering all these funny little quips.

Unknown said...

You are either very brave or crazy! Three days in a car with kids?!?! We spend Christmas in Houston and while some of us did drive, I flew Jenny and Brian because two days in a car with Brian would have been insanity! How did you do it?