Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Emma's Dark Side

As I've mentioned before on this blog, Emma's a big Grandma Ginger fan. Ginger Yule is my mom's institute teacher and has put out stories on CD that she's told to her grandchildren. For Christmas my mom gave Emma Volumes 1-3 of Grandma Ginger's Bible Stories. Emma has listened to them every night since we got home and is fascinated with the stories. She quotes lines and tells me her own summary (which no one unfamiliar with the bible would have a clue what she was talking about). The one Emma has been most taken with is the story of Baby Moses. She tells me constantly that they killed the babies. A little boy I was babysitting today was going down our slide and she was pretending he was sliding into the river to be drowned. Then when we got in the house she grabbed our scarves and wanted to tie up the boys to pretend they were babies to be killed. I reminded her we don't tie people up-yes we've had to establish this rule before (Emma actually ties some really good knots). I'm glad she makes the scriptures real in her life but this a little troubling. She also was intrigued by the story of Samson and couldn't remember what made him strong but remembered that they poked his eyes out after they capture him. Do I need to find a G-rated version of the bible for my little girl? She's been watching a Nephi video too, so she told me today that I was being wicked (because I got on her for not listening or shall I say hearkening) and she was going to have to go somewhere else. She wasn't joking. The force is strong in this one, but sometimes I see flashes of Episode 3 coming out of this girl.

4 comments:

Russ Cannon said...

The mitichlorians are certainly there in abundance - you just need to keep them aligned right to keep her from turning to the dark side of the force! Maybe go easy on the Old Testament blood and gore until she is a little older.

Glad to hear she likes the Grandma Ginger stories.

Angie Larkin said...

Oh boy. I too have grandma ginger stories...but the ones I have seem to be a little more benign.

Carol Swift said...

When I first started reading this post I thought I should buy those books for my grandson. But, now, not-so-much. That little Emma is quite the deep thinker and it will be interesting to see where that deep thinking takes her! :o)

Diane said...

Keep an eye on that one.