Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Storytime Characters

This morning we went to the library for storytime. Now that I babysit a 22-month-old, Wednesday's usually the only day we get out. We go to the library for storytime and check out books and movies, then we go to Sams Club. The kids are actually quite good with the right amount of snacks and taking things slow but boy do I get a lot of looks and questions when I come in with four little ones. Most kids here are in preschool by the time they're four (if not earlier) and most parents plan to have only a couple of kids and space them so I really stick out with four. It's kinda funny. Sorry, that's not why I'm posting today. I was noticing how my kids' individual personalities were really showing through during storytime. They're involvement and interaction is very indicative of who they are.

EMMA- Emma sat quietly. She repeated every word to be repeated with exactness. She quickly answered any question asked. Emma stood on command and did whatever dance and song was asked to the best of her ability. She didn't get all silly and smiley about it she just focused on the task. She pointed out interesting pictures and funny parts to the boys like mommy does and helped mom collect the supplies for the craft. Emma chased down little boys that tried to escape and was my little angel helper.



ANDREW- Andrew really likes to get involved. He doesn't need to be the center of attention he just needs to be doing what the big kids are doing. He got excited every time they did a song and tried keeping up with all the motions. He clapped his hands, he stomped his feet, and moved as fast as he could to get through "Head, Shoulder, Knees, and Toes." Once the stories started back up he squirmed and looked through my bag for snacks. He demanded more and more until I finally convinced him that the empty tupperware meant the snacks were gone so he tried to steal some from the child behind us, no luck. Then when we broke for craft-time he took advantage of a poor baby who had been left alone in a chair while his mom went to get supplies at the table. Andrew grabbed the baby's bottle of juice and ran. I quickly figured out what happened when Andrew came over with a bottle and I saw a baby whimpering. Stinker boy!




WESTON- This face (minus the glasses) about sums up Weston during storytime. He doesn't smile, he doesn't get up and dance, he doesn't comment, he doesn't talk to anyone who tries to talk to him. He just sits and stares - not in amazement and he doesn't really look bored or confused - it's just...some other planet or something. I try to make him stand up and move his arms along with the song. He doesn't complain but he doesn't make any effort. I don't know if it's the other kids or being in public because he dances at home and laughs and is silly but he just checks out at storytime. Somber. I never used that word before Weston came along, but it's a perfect description.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Shayla said...

What a great portrayal of their personalities. I felt like I was at storytime with you! Weston's somberness kills me.

Jesse said...

I do that "other planet" thing sometimes too. Usually means I'm deep in thought about something profound- like why left and right switch in a mirror, but not up and down, or why it is that knees can't bend both ways...