I drive a 15 passenger van Monday through Friday from Douglasville into Atlanta, and back again - about a 75-mile round trip. This gives me plenty of time to entertain thoughts. Today it was raining on the drive home, and I realized how obsessed I am with getting my windshield wipers to wipe my windshield at the right speed. It drives me crazy. I blame an ex-girlfriend for this.
This ex once expressed to me that she thought guys who turned their windshield wipers on in a light rain were "wimpy." And even in a heavy rain, she claimed it was not very manly to have the windshield wipers going full speed. Apparently she thought that a man should not panic just because he can't really see where he's going. Instead, he should be a man about it, and trust his manly instincts to guide him while he waits for a respectable amount of water to blind him. Only then is it acceptable to wipe the shield - and then only on a lower setting, so that he must constantly rely on his manhood to see him through the elements.
I know of course how retarded an idea this is. I believe I even told her at the time just how retarded the notion of I-can't-see-where-I'm-going-and-that-means-I'm-not-a-sissy driver is. And yet...
I observe other drivers when it's raining. I watch the speed of the windshield wipers on the vehicle behind me when I'm stopped at a light. If the rain is coming down lightly, and I see frantic wipers behind me, I look to see if the driver is a man. If he is, I scoff. I judge. I think he needs to calm down and man up. Can't he handle a few drops? Doesn't he know he's not even moving?
But my wiper philosophy is different from the philosophy of my ex girlfriend. Quirky yes, but I like to think it makes a bit more sense. I still don't think it's manly at all to see how long you can hold out before you wipe your shield. That's still stupid. Instead, I'm all about the timing and the adjustment. You see, I drive in rain with the belief that I must constantly adjust the speed of my wipers to reflect driving conditions. In my mind, I consider many factors - the size and frequency of the drops, the width and girth of my windshield, the direction of the wind, the speed of my vehicle, the amount of daylight, the curvature and grade of the road - and I adjust my windshield wiper speed accordingly. since these factors are in a constant state of flux, I am continually evaluating and readjusting the speed of my wipers. I am rarely satisfied - always looking for the optimal wipe, and by the time I pull into the carport, I am mentally and physically exhausted.
I don't do this to be manly. I do this simply because I have to. And the reason I have to is because it feels irresponsible now to drive with the wipers wiping furiously if the circumstances do not warrant furious wipers. It's like those people who sigh dramatically out of habit - not because something all that dramatic happened, but because at the first sign of drama, they've conditioned themselves to sigh as if they've just been tasked with solving world hunger. again.
So maybe I feel a bit superior to others because of my ability to appropriately adjust the speed of wipers. So what? Maybe I'm writing this so that I'm no longer the only one who is aware of my unique ability. Maybe I'm writing this in the hopes that I'm not alone - that there are others out there who are like me - those with special wiper abilities.
And yet I can't help but wonder - what if my ex girlfriend had kept her mouth shut? Would I have the wiper obsession I have now? And if not, would I have remained happy in my ignorance? Wiping furiously? Needlessly? This ability - it is a curse. It is a blessing.
Am I alone?

11 comments:
Jamie....I must warn you now - these OCD tendencies are highly magnified in old age (and you are only 30 years old). When you get to be my age, you will no longer be content with observation - you will be dashing through the rain to adjust the wiper speed for the guy stopped at the light behind you. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Or, OCD can diminish with age - mmine have. I also have to wonder if you're transfering your "macho-factor" to the wiper blades and how you measure up as a husband and dad. (Freud stuff?) You probably shouldn't mention your ex-girl friend in a blog. . . next time it rains in Vegas I'll try to notice wiper speeds of others.
BIG SIGH....I knew this time would come. I knew I'd have to admit my windshield wiper obsession sometime, but why, why, why now! Because you have forced my hand, that's why!!!! I obsess over my blades wiping too fast when there is only a small amount of rain. I watch other people to see if they are using their blades in a fast or slow motion and silently ridicule them for having them sweep rapidly back and forth when the rain obviously does not warrant such speed. DEEP BREATHE, MOVING ON....to more important things. Why do you drive a 15-seat semi when you only have three kids? And, does this ex-girlfriend know that she has driven you to this level of obsession and insanity? Does Gina need to attend an Al-Anon-OCD meeting to deal with your obsessions? Please, let me help before you start becoming like that person who can't be named.
i cannot stop laughing- thank you Jame.
This is why some of us live in sunny SoCal. What rain?
I was telling Brent just the other day that I wished you would contribute to the blogging world. If not for money (I'm pretty sure you're capable), then simply to entertain your peeps. This post was hysterical.
I love that you blog! So, I think your secret ability has manifested itself...watch out. Pretty soon you will be on Heroes with the girl who can't die and the guy who can fly! They'll call you wiper man, or something...
Some of this wiperoliosis comes from your grandfather. He would have loved this post--to the point of clapping his wipers faster than the speed of rain.
I have to say Jamie that I too have a wiper obsession. I am constantly adjusting them while I am driving. They are in a constant state of change depending on whether I am stopped or moving, if I'm on the freeway or the side streets, etc. I feel your pain. Why does it have to rain anyway??? ;)
Haven't checked your blog in a while, Weezer and wipers, Jamie and I have more in common than I thought! For me it all started with parents that leave the wipers on full speed at the slightest sign of rain. For the rest of the drive I would go nuts watching and listening to two wipers scrape against a perfectly dry windshield.
In fact to this day when I'm with my family, I always have to drive, not because they are bad drivers, but in case someone pedestrian sneezes on the windshield, I will be in control of the wipers.
Whenever I buy a car, somewhat high on the list is that it has a full delay spectrum of wiper speeds, none of this hi, med, and lo simplicity nonsense.
I usually keep my polarized fishing sunglasses close because it greatly reduces the glare from the rain drops, and thus the need to wipe as frequently.
This drives Jenny crazy, what does Rochelle think?
Wow Jamie, this post has generated more comments than any of the 100+ posts I've written! You should write more often.
Post a Comment