Okay, so I know Father's Day has come and gone, but I had been thinking about doing this post and then we had my brother-in-laws in town last week and Jamie was sick Father's Day and I just kinda missed it but I finally decided that any day's a good day to pay tribute to great dads! And besides that my dad is in Peru and wouldn't have seen this on Father's Day and still won't for a couple weeks.
My Dad
First of all, my dad is a smart dude! Like his father, he's an excellent businessman and super organized. If I were ever on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire my dad would definitely be at the top of my phone call list because he really knows everything. From history to music, the guy is learned. Then again, I'd choose him as the winner on Survivor. Not only because of his boyscout, outdoors man know-how but he's also a smooth talker and always beats my brothers at the game of Risk. I'm convinced the man would not only survive but thrive if placed on an abandoned island and if I ever get stranded I hope my dad's with me. As a child, I always felt so much comfort having my dad around because I knew whatever happened he'd know what to do and I was safe. I also learned to love and appreciate the outdoors. We did lots of camping, hiking, and other adventures and marveled at the beautiful world we've been given.
One thing that defines my dad is that he is thorough. Anything he does he does right and he does well. We camped a lot growing up and he always told us to leave the site better than we found it. Any place my dad goes, anything he does is left better than he found it. Ask any member of the ward he was bishop in.
My dad is kind and calm. Even with six kids tearing apart the house I don't remember my dad raising his voice. He would be stern, but wouldn't loose his temper. When my dad told me what to do or not to do, something about his gentle, concerned way made me want to listen and please him. I still have the desire to please him and it's probably been what has kept me in check all these years.
Even with his perfectionist nature, my dad is a lot of fun. We had the funnest yard growing up and we've taken lots of trips together. He's always ready with a joke and pulls out a goofy face for the kids. He can quote any movie and sing a song for any word you give him. He's friendly and non-judgemental and always knows the right thing to say.
My dad is a model of service. My dad has taught me that when the Lord calls, you answer. He has served in many callings and always gives them his all. He's the only man I know who volunteered himself as scoutmaster. As bishop he brought flowers to every new mother, had new members and widows for family dinners, and took a special interest in the youth.
My dad's sentimental. He loves going through old pictures and telling us stories of his childhood. He reads every family history he can get his hands on and takes his heritage seriously. I too take my heritage seriously and feel a great responsibilty to live up to the name I've been given. I hope my children will follow in his footsteps.

My Father-In-Law
I remember as a teenager realizing that I was extremely blessed to have the parents I have and that not everyone was so fortunate. I know there are good parents out there, but mine are really quite exceptional! I don't say this as a matter of pride but rather gratitude. With this in mind, I thought chances were good that the man I marry probably wouldn't have parents as great as mine. I couldn't have been more far from the truth. My in-laws are amazing! I love and admire them so much! A lot of people talk about how hard it is their first year of marriage bringing together two people from different upbringings. I did not feel that in our marriage, our parents had both set such clear gospel standards in the lives of their children that we had no question as to how we should be living our lives. We knew that if we were both following the Savior we would both be going in the same direction. I love how similar our parents are and how faithfully they raise their children! So, let me tell you about my awesome father-in-law:
If my dad doesn't have my millionaire answer, my father-in-law does. The guy has an amazing amount of knowledge packed into that brain of his. He's brilliant and truly wise, not just full of facts.
He is also very talented. He plays the piano very well and even composes his own pieces. He can just get on the piano and start playing his own variation on a hymn. I took piano lessons for years but can't play a single line without music in front of me, so I'm in awe! He's also good with words and expresses himself well in speech and writing (not my talent, so I feel a little sheepish writing this). I suppose this is why he makes a good attorney.
Anyone who has met my father-in-law will probably remember him for his humor. He is very witty and will find a clever thing to say at any occasion. I will be in big trouble if I ever go to a funeral with him:). He can be very quiet and serious and is a tender man, but be prepared to laugh so hard you'll cry if he's around. Jamie prides himself on inheriting his father's humor.
My father-in-law is a hard worker. He never just sits down to watch
tv and doesn't go to movies. He's always busying himself with his calling, work, or helping his family. He goes to great lengths to help his family and is deeply concerned with their happiness and well-being. There is a sincerity about him in his love for others, particularly his family, that I can only describe as Christlike. He does so much for his family and he never complains or seeks praise. He does good for the goodness of it and works in quiet acts of service. I can't say how much having him in my family has blessed me and the lives of my children! I even liked him enough to name Weston after him and have Andrew look like him in hopes that having that part of Grandpa would help them be like him.
My Husband
(aka dad to Emma, Weston, and Andrew)
I am trying to focus on my husband's attributes as a dad without gushing over what he means to me as my husband, but really the most important thing he can do for my kids is to be a good husband to their mother. He shows me so much love both in what he says and his actions. My husband compliments me often and makes me feel beautiful and appreciated. He's patient with me. He is not critical of me and allows me to do things my way. He's not a picky eater (a requirement to be married to me) and eats any mystery meal I prepare. He's a good Daddy too!
Jamie is a funny guy! It's the type of humor that even though you're rolling your eyes, you can't help laughing at. He inserts his own lyrics into popular songs and writes clever stories and poems that make me smile. He sees humor and cuteness in my kids like I do. We're both able to laugh at their quirks and see how cute their little ways are. My kids love to giggle with him. He invents fun games and spontaneous activities. One of the kids favorite things is to have Daddy throw couch pillow at them. He's the one that wrestles and throws them around and they love it. They also love climbing "the Daddy Mountain." Even Andrew can't help but smile when Jamie enters the room.
One thing I love about Jamie is how good he is with youth. He treats them as equals and will talk to a rowdy teenager like he'd talk to a friend his age. He doesn't pass judgement and they sense that he is genuine. Jamie taught high school English and had the roughest classes. Those kids loved him though and were sad to see him go. I always smiled watching how chummy these scary looking kids were with him, knowing full well that they would eat me alive if I were the one in that classroom. I've always told Jamie that I would raise our kids the first 10 years, after that I'd hand them over to him, because that's his age group. One thing that impressed me when we were dating is how well he treated his siblings. He's the oldest of six and the youngest was six at the time. Watching him with his younger siblings, I knew he'd be a good dad.
Another characteristic that assured me that Jamie was the one is his commitment and understanding of the Gospel. They say that girls marry their fathers and I knew I had found in Jamie that same devotion that I admire so much in my dad (which of course he learned from his own parents). He's a worthy priesthood holder and has served well in all his callings. I know his service will not only bless him and those he serves but his example will be such a blessing to our kids.
My husband is helpful and sweet. I think he does dishes more often than I do and spends hours each week maintaining our yard. He's always willing to volunteer service and has helped with countless moves. He is always thinking of others. During labor with Andrew when things weren't going too well Jamie ,although terrified for me, held my hand and pretended to be calm just so I wouldn't panic. He reassured me and was so tender. I was so grateful he was there! And I am so grateful to have him as a father for my kids! Not just for the good looks he handed down to them but for his goodness and humor as well!
5 comments:
Having met your dad and husband I agree that you are a lucky gal. Thanks for the sentimental words. I love when people post positive and uplifting blogs for everyone else to read. It brightens my day.
ditto ... you truly are blessed with the men in your life.
Awesome post. It was fun to learn all that about your dad. I agree that he is friendly and kind. I've always enjoyed being around him. As for the other two, I think they are absolutely amazing as well. Just as you said!
Great post--- amen to all above- and since I don't know the other two as well--- I think your Dad is pretty amazing as well.
Thanks for all the kind comments. It is the best kind of Father's Day gift a dad can possibly get. It was worth waiting for (since I just got a chance today to read your blog). I agree with the comments you made about your husband and father-in-law. You have been truly blessed with the family you married into.
Love, Dad
Post a Comment