Allow me to clear up this Gina Rochelle business. No, I'm not trying to appear distinguished by using my first and middle name. I simply created a problem years ago that has never resolved (and, I'm sure never will). My family has always called me by my middle name, Rochelle. But my name on lists and documents always showed up as my first name, Gina. So every time I went into a new class I would have to correct them. Then one year I didn't make the correction. It was in fourth grade and I think I was just fed up with the creative nicknames that come from dividing Rochelle into two words (where the bad cockroaches go), so when they read Gina on the attendance roll, I just answered "here." From then on I was Gina by day and Rochelle by night. This Gina thing spread to church, sports teams, and pretty much every non-family place (oh wait, church is a family place). I continued going by Gina in college where I met my husband. Now I'm no longer Rochelle Cannon but Gina Steed. My family still calls me Rochelle and I don't even think about it until I come to an akward situation (like say, posting a blog) where I am speaking to both Gina and Rochelle audiences and I have to figure out who I am. I know they say women play lots of roles in life, but this is silly. So, I apologize for the confusion I have caused and want my readers to know that Gina and Rochelle may be used interchangeably, but it's the same person. And for parents considering calling their child by their middle name, just don't.
Saturday, February 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
oh poor gina rochelle! yeah i know it was confusing when i came to visit and i went to a school function and your friends were calling you gina, what the heck! i'm getting better about calling you gina, but you'll always be rochelle! (it's your own fault by saying "here" in the 4th grade!! hehe!)
Your advice comes a little too late. :)
HAHA! I did the same thing, but I stopped correctly people my last year of college (I'd much prefer being called Gina over Ed, sorry Dad). Anyway, my LDS Lit teacher always called me Ed. It was funny because I would never answer him... E Brent is good enough (even if everyone thinks E is for Electronic).
Post a Comment