Monday, February 11, 2008

Musical Chloroform

About a week ago I was putting Weston to bed when he said, "want God." He repeated himself and for one exciting moment I thought my toddler had a desire for religion in his life. Then I realized he was pointing at the CD player and I remembered that the first song on the primary CD I play him every night is "I Am a Child of God." He has requested this popular mormon tune many times since  (although the title has expanded to "Child of God") and it always calms him down. Even if I hold him and start humming it he starts to drift. I found it has a similar affect on Andrew as well. If I lay him down and he starts squirming and whimpering I just rub him and hum the song and he quiets right down. I don't know if my boys recognize their divine nature or if they simply enjoy the melody, either way I'm impressed by
  it's power. I love the simple truths that are taught in the primary songs and I love that my children enjoy listening to them and singing them. I'm glad to know that my children "want God."

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Jodi Jean said...

awww that's great! although i heard a story about a kid who was sung that song everynight before they went to bed, and then at church in nursrey when they started to sing that song she started screaming because she didn't want to go to bed!! hehe! i'm glad you found something that works tho!!

Emily said...

I love the primary songs! Your kids are so sweet.

Shayla said...

"...for one exciting moment I thought my toddler had a desire for religion in his life." Haha. You are funny. That is such a sweet story. And such precious pictures! I too love the primary songs. Thanks for sharing!