Well, I waited until the last minute to do my shopping for Weston's birthday tommorrow. I was looking online at what the stores had and then calling the stores to see if they had the items in stock (because when you shop the day before you can't wait for shipping). Anyway, most the people didn't have accents but we still had communication issues. This particular salesperson did and this is our conversation:
Me: Yes, what are your cross-streets
Lady: [insert southern drawl]What?
Me: What are your cross-streets?
Lady: Cross-what?
Me: For the store. What are the cross-streets?
Lady: Hold on, lemme get someone.
Lady #2: [insert heavier accent] How can I hep you?
Me: Yes, what are your cross-streets?
Lady#2: scuse me?
Me: What streets is your store on?
Lady #2: umm (sheepish giggle-turns and asks) Wer on Debon an Hospal Drive.
Me: On what?
Lady #2: Febon an Hospal Drive, behin Checkers
Me: Febon?
Lady #2: No, Febon, F-A-I-R-B-U-R-N
Me: Oh, okay, and what was the other one?
Lady #2: Hospal (Oh, Hospital)
Me: Okay, Thank you
Man, and I told Jamie we couldn't move to Germany because I wouldn't be able to talk to people.
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Welcome to the South
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
here is a tip that will save you some head itching and embarrassment: coke = any soda. if they tell you to bring some "coke" to the ward party, just take 7-up or Mountain Dew or whatever you want, but don't actually take Coke because they always wonder why the "westerners" always bring Coca-Cola. weird. oh and get used to saying ma'am and sir because you might offend someone (that is for Emma and Weston and Ender mostly... I doubt anyone would care if Jamie and Gina didn't say it)
oh boy ... its like you moved to a different country! hehe. i'm horrible with accents. i have an uncle from texas who sounds exactly like larry the cable guy (i'm no kidding, actually he's ahrder to understand) everytime he calls i hangup on him and tell him he has the wrong number, he then has to call back, then it clicks who it is and i hand the phone to my mom.
come to think of it, i prolly shouldnt be answering my moms phone and hanging up on people ... how rude!!
I enjoyed reading that conversation. Pretty funny stuff!
Here are some more southern strangenesses I got a kick out of living down there:
"commode" instead of bathroom
"buggy" instead of shopping cart
"icebox" instead of refrigerator
"the law" instead of policemen
"go tee-tee" instead of go pee
"house/car note" instead of bills
"cut on the lights" instead of turn
"mash the button" instead of push
"carry you" instead of give you a ride
Happy Birthday Weston (one day late)!!!
Howdy, and welcome to a new way of speaking and thinking. Because my dad grew up in ID and my mom grew up in AZ and SoCal, I had to adjust to the TX accent. I had it down when I went to college, but when I came back a few years ago, I found out I had lost my ear for the accent. Our moving van came in, and the driver, who had a pretty thick accent, asked for directions. I told him to turn on Bois D'arc, which I pronounced the French way, since it is French. He didn't understand me, so I spelled it. He said, "Oh, bow dark." Then he made some rude comment about how the mixup was to be blamed on my having just moved from New York. I may not have been born here, but I consider myself as having been raised here, so I was quite offended at his implication that I was a Yankee and quickly told him I was from Wichita Falls.
Just remember the line from The Best Two Years (which I am paraphrasing): Before you know it, you will start talking and realize later that you didn't have any more problems with the language.
that's hillarious!
hahaha oh my gosh gina you are soo funny i miss you!!
Post a Comment