I'm grateful for snuggles!
I love to snuggle. Westie is my snuggle bear and is always good for a squeeze. He's been known to randomly hop into my lap and wrap his warm little arms around my neck. He'll pull his head away, put his warm chubby hands on my cheeks and smile at me as if to say, "you know you can't resist me. Say I'm cute." He's so soft and snuggly and full of smiles and love. Weston's warmth and snuggles have lifted my spirits on ugly days. He doesn't just give the obligatory squeeze and run off or squirm uncomfortably in my arms waiting for mom to finish. No he's very tender-hearted and concerned for others. He climbs in our bed early every morning, usually undetected and nestles in between us soaking up the warmth and the satisfaction of having both parents to himself.
Emma is more an acts of kindness and show love through strict obedience kinda gal. But when I put her in bed she'll reach her long arms out to me and wrap them around my neck, kiss me gently on the cheek, and look me in the eyes as she sincerely expresses her love for me. That's my girl - honest, straightforward, no nonsense. But she does express love through words and deeds more than the boys.
After snugglebear Westie, stiff stubborn Andrew was hard to adjust to. Even as a newborn the child refused to bend or relax in any way. My dad described it as "snuggling a two by four." He was impossible to burp and wouldn't nuzzle into my shoulder (which is why newborns are usually so endearing). As he got older I woud try to rock him and sing before I'd put him to bed. But he would just scream and fight. And now, now that he's not really a baby, he wants to snuggle. Maybe it's because he just doesn't want to be left alone in bed, but after two years of wrestling him, I'll take what I can get. As I lay him in bed he'll let me tuck him in. Then he reaches out and says "snuggew mommy" and he'll wrap his small arms around my head (not neck) and hold me so I won't escape. If I say "I love you," he whimpers, "no" because this is usually a sign that I'm about to leave. He lets me sing and even makes requests and finishes the lines for me. He asks me to rock him and rests on my chest. Ahhh, this is what I've been waiting for. Sure, he should be getting to sleep better on his own, sure he's taking advantage of me, but finally, my baby's learned to snuggle and I'm gonna relish it while I can.
0 comments:
Post a Comment