I am grateful for sisters!
I have four brothers and for a long time I was the only girl. Oh, how I longed for a sister! When I learned how to pray, I asked the Lord to give me a sister. The odds weren't really in my favor and with five kids and six years without babies in the Cannon house it appeared as though I would have to hold my own as the girl of the house. But I got her!
I was nine when Brooke was born. My mom does c-sections so I knew the day and time my sister was going to arrive. I was in school at PE and had been watching my watch all day and had a little celebration when the designated time arrived. I finally had my sister! I was excited to share a room finally (weird huh) and mothered that little girl constantly. I remember when Brooke was a toddler my mom telling me to stop hugging her so much. I just really adored her (and still do, but have learned to control myself ; ) I love my brothers but they just can't offer what a sister offers. I love my Brooke!
I was glad to have a sister but missed having an older sister. Someone to look up to and steal clothes from and do hair and other girly stuff with. But I realized that my brothers would get married and then I would get some sisters close to my age (it just keeps getting better, my plan). And I was right. Just after I had graduated high school I got my first sister-in-law, Deborah. I remember my brother asking my sister and I what we thought of Deborah and we both agreed that she was nice, smart, and pretty. And so, he married her (because he would only do so with my approval haha). Now Deborah will tell you that she's not a girly girl and she's never lived close enough for me to raid her closet but she has been someone to look up to (I'll resist the urge to make a joke about her height...oh wait..oops). She's fun to be with and a good role model for me. I love my Deborah!
A couple years later I got married and got two more sister-in-laws (score). This is the lovely Shayla. She is even closer to my age and fun to be around. She's clever and funny and very thoughtful. She's dedicated to family and keeps up with our little gang. She even went as far as to fly her family out here to visit. With two toddlers, that's dedication. She's a keeper! I love my Shayla!
This is Jamie's other sister Chelsea. She's Brooke's age. She's okay I guess. haha just kidding. Chelsea's a cutie and full of energy. She was eleven when Jamie and I got married but she and Brooke started college this year. It's fun to have watched her blossom into a beautiful and talented lady! I love my Chelsea!
When Emma was a baby my brother married this beautiful lady! Isn't her hair amazing? Lindy is the sweetest most patient person I know. I have never heard an unkind word from her and she is very sensitive to the needs of others. I admire her a great deal and wish I were as patient with my children as she is with hers. I love my Lindy!
And then Jamie's brother got married and I got another sister-in-law for my collection. This is the gorgeous Stephanie. She is very smart and talented in the kitchen. She not only has natural good looks but always has the cutest clothes and hair. I think I need to fly her out to fix me up and maybe make me some yummy stuff to eat. And apparently Stephanie's a non-conformist. Try as I may, I could not get her picture to center. But we'll let her be over there if it's that important to her. I love my Stephanie!Here's the newest edition to my sister gallery. This is pretty princess Angie (as Weston refers to her but I have to agree). She married my brother Nate this summer and we are thrilled to have her in the family. I haven't had much of a chance to get to know her yet but I do know this much at least: she's smart because she married Nate, she's patient and clever because she waited for Nate to see how awesome she is, and she's brave because she gave up her life in SLC to follow my brother across the country to Boston (driving no less) so he could go to school again-so she has a new home, new name, new roommate, new ward, and is far from her family and friends. That's a dedicated woman. I love my Angie!
Jamie is grateful for sleep (I'm guessing because he's sleeping and can't give his answer)
Emma is grateful for lizards
Weston is grateful for the planets
Andrew is grateful for Jesus


7 comments:
Aw, what a great post! Beautifully written. . .
I am thankful for sisters too.
Sweet!
You are lucky. Riddle: I only have one sister and she's related to a few of your sisters.... if you can figure that out, you'll do well.
Awe, this post made me want to cry! You are so sweet!!
I love my Gina!
This is really sweet! I love my Gina too!
Even if I'm just "okay" :) I miss you!
Post a Comment