Today I am grateful for:
Modern Conveniences
I woke up early the other morning to go use the bathroom. I sat on the toilet and almost jumped back off because it was so cold. But then I thought, "man, I'm glad I didn't have to walk outside to a cold, stinky outhouse." I am really quite spoiled in this modern world with flushing indoor toilets, hot running water, heater and a/c, electric oven/stove, heated cars, dishwashers, washers and dryers, refrigerators, lights, and the list goes on and on! And yet, all this time I'm saving on housework and the comfort I work in, how is it that I still can't stay on top of things? I think I'm probably lazier than my ancestors. I should make better use of the time I'm given with all these conveniences at my fingertips. And yet here I'm blogging while my husband does the dishes :)
This is a picture of the kids' sink with running water, but the story I'm going to tell has nothing else to do with the subject at hand. Emma loves to decorate. She gets excited when I pull out holiday decorations. "It looks like a new room," she tells me. So she goes off to do decorating of her own. Here's a picture of her "princess bathroom." She had a flower in the cup there before, Weston musta stole it, and there's more hair pretties decorating the towel rack and cabinet knobs. She was so stinkin proud of her work that I hated to tell her it wasn't very practical (how do we use the soap?). That girl cracks me up.
Today Emma says she's grateful for paint. She asked to paint today and we never got to it. After seeing Weston's coloring job on my table I was hesitant to pull out paints. Sorry, maybe we'll get him down for a nap tomorrow Em and we'll do some girl painting. What a poor deprived child, that's why her imagination's so good. That's the thing i like about imagination, no mess :) I'm not one of those cool mom's who's willing to do messy activities. I'm trying to loosen up a little so my kids can remember a fun childhood.
Today Weston said he's grateful for what he says he's grateful for every day, "CARS!"
Jamie's grateful for General Conference. Last April was our first Georgia conference. We don't get it on tv and it's a couple hours off so we were trying to adjust. We set up an inflatable couch in front of our ugly computer set-up (it's in what's made to be a laundry closet) so we could watch. Ghetto huh? But kinda fun.

2 comments:
I've read all your thankful comments and love seeing the pictures. I missed reading this yesterday and laughed out loud about the cold toilet because I had just finished posting a comment about being thankful for toilets. Am I getting desperate for ThankfulFest ideas? :o) Jamie hasn't changed at all--still has a baby face.
During my two years in Melbourne, Australia, I never had an indoor toilet. I still remember those cold winter mornings when I would sprint to the outhouse then make a wood fire under the water heater for a warm shower. I am grateful for indoor toilets and a shower that runs hot water without the work of stoking a fire!
Post a Comment