When I was taking my teaching classes a teacher advised us to "steal everything;" meaning to photocopy every worksheet, write down every good idea, and otherwise duplicate everything you see. A great way to teach and crosses over beautifully to motherhood and homemaking. And so I go about collecting ideas from those wiser than I, or at the very least using their ideas as a springboard to my own creations. But every now and then I receive the inspiration that comes with the call of motherhood to create an idea that is unique to me and my family needs. So, really I guess I never come up with an idea of my very own, but sometimes the ideas are original. Today I had one of those exciting thoughts. I've been thinking passively about traditions and what we could do in our home, especially now that we are away from family and can't just be guests for the holidays. I've also been feeling overwhelmed with gratitude as I've reflected on the blessings I've been so freely given and how very fortunate I am! And thirdly, we've been attempting to help our kids out of their prayer rut, lengthening their prayers and expanding their prayer language. We keep telling Emma to try to say something different each day. So, today as I realized we are now into November I thought: "wouldn't it be great to think of a new blessing each day of November until Thanksgiving?" Sort of a Days of Thanksgiving, similar to the 12 days of Christmas. I thought each member of my family can write a different blessing on a paper every night at dinner and we'll make a chain we'll keep on our table for Thanksgiving dinner. Or maybe I'll get a leaf garland and write the blessings on the leaves, but I kind of like the chain idea for my lil people. Feel free to join the ThankfulFest! Any ideas on what we should call this?
So today we're grateful for:
Jamie- snuggly kids to nap with
So today we're grateful for:
Jamie- snuggly kids to nap with
Weston- Weston didn't stop stuffing his face long enough to answer so we decided he was thankful for FOOD
Gina- Our neighborhood with our good neighbors and beautiful fall colors.
When we were telling people we were moving to Georgia everyone told me how beautiful it was! I came to visit Jamie in December when everything was dead. The trees were bare, the grass was yellow and crispy. Oh yeah, real breathtaking! Now's the time of year when the weather's perfect and the trees are beautiful and all the Georgians say "we told you so!"

6 comments:
Great idea!! Looking at your picture collage makes me jealous. It is sooo beautiful there and so much room for kids to play. It looks very family friendly.
That is such a good idea! And your neighborhood is beautiful!! We miss you!!
Sounds like a wonderful tradition! You'll have to continue to post what you guys are thankful for. It's fun to read. Now I don't expect a daily post, but heck, maybe one of these days one of the kids will say, "I'm thankful for Aunt Shayla" and I'm gonna want to know about it! :)
Can I just BE you? Awesome idea. I'm going to copy it.
You are such a thoughtful, conscientious mother!
I loved all the Halloween costumes - especially your pirate earrings!
This is a great idea! I'm a little late to start with day one, but I'll try to catch up. Can't wait to read each day's "thankful" comment on your blog.
Oh yeah--I like how you've called it "Thankful Fest."
Post a Comment