Monday, November 3, 2008

Day 3 of Thanksgiving

Today I'm thankful for:

My Grandparents
Aren't they a cute couple?! This is them at their 50th wedding anniversary! Still in love! My grandparents have really taught me through example to love and cherish your family, just be involved. They were there for my baptism, my wedding, held each of my babies, and send cards and money every birthday. My grandma use to make me and my cousin dresses for Christmas and I remember my grandpa making slingshots for the boys. They keep their family close to their hearts and gather them near often. My grandma was on the internet e-mailing me before my mom ever got on and they encourage all their kids to send out a family letter each month to keep everyone connected.


This is my grandma with my niece Julie and Baby Emma. Isn't she beautiful!? My grandma's usually the one behind the camera, recording all the family memories.


This is at my grandma's home in Bellflower, California. One of my favorite places in the world! It's the house my mom grew up in and the magical place of my childhood. It was a place I knew I was loved and part of something wonderful, a close eternal family! My aunt bought the house behind them and put in a swinging gate so we could wander between the houses. I loved the sweet juicy oranges and tangy tangerines that grow in their yard, the over-springy diving board, the beautiful California summers, boogie-boarding at the beach, barbie and cabbage patch dolls with my cousin, Grandpa's harmonica playing for FHE, and feasts in the rumpus room. Mmm, I could sure go for some of Grandma's blackberry jello right now and some fruit leather.
This is at a Hatch reunion. My grandpa comes from a family with 9 kids. Every Thanksgiving the Hatchs would gather in Parker, Arizonia for a big family reunion with a big feast, dancing, sports, camping, and fun! It's one of my fondest childhood memories. I remember my grandpa taking me out to dance like this and teaching me "Littlefoot" and "the Dixie Reel." My grandparents believe in family gatherings and because of this I am close to their family and there is a strong bond!


My grandparents are frugal people which they passed on to my mom and then to me. My grandpa was the worst person to take to a buffet as he would lecture all the grandkids to only "take what you'll eat, and eat what you take." He grew up in a large family, served in a war, and was a teacher supporting a family of 7 so he knows the value of work and the importance of saving. My grandpa's a handyman and fixes things up so they don't have to buy a new one or pay someone else to fix it.


They're warm people with a love for life. Whenever I hear the phrase "tough as nails" I think of my grandpa. He was always a strong, healthy, tough guy that would hug you so hard your eyes would about pop out. Even in his seventies he'd be out working the yard and going on camping trips. He also has a wonderful and unique sense of humor. Here's a few Dahlisms for ya:


Grandpa's marriage advice-
"Beauty fades, but stupid is forever."
"You can fall in love with a rich girl just as easy as you can fall in love with a poor girl."
On Children:
Asking my brother if his baby was walking yet (at six months), my brother responded no.
"Must be retarted"
On life:
The loose screw principle-"There are two types of people in this world. Those who see a loose screw and think, “someone ought to fix that”, and those who see a loose screw and tighten it. Be the second kind of person. "
When my aunt was walking home from church one summer day with her Dad. A littleYorkshire dog barked angrily as they crossed the sidewalk on his property. He was loud and obnoxious, but they weren't afraid of the tiny thing. Grandpa told her that opposition in life was like that, and that opposition to doing the right thing would make a lot of noise,but that we shouldn't let that deter us from doing the right thing.
"Make a little money first, then make a little money last"
"You have 1 mouth and 2 ears, use them proportionately"
'If you get stiff in the joints, stay out of them."
'The end doesn’t always justify the jeans"
"Common sense, is not that common."
"He is so narrow minded he can look through a key hole with both eyes at once."
"Some people are so open minded that there brains fall out."
Two wonderful people who have a large part in who I am today and who I want to become and for that I am forever grateful! Love you Grandma and Grandpa!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Jodi Jean said...

what a beautiful post!! we were both blessed with wonderful grandparents ... although i like to count dahl and bethe as mine too! they are truly remarkable people and everyone who knows them is better because of it.

debs said...

Jesse exaggerated - Julie was six months old when Grandpa called her "retarded."

Diane said...

Good job Rochelle, I'll send you more Dahlism, when I find those cards.

Gina Rochelle said...

Welcome Diane! Good to hear from you.

Russ Cannon said...

I loved this when I first read it and enjoyed it again just now with Mom. Grandpa was actually one of 11 children - can you imagine the noise at the dinner table! I have really enjoyed scanning all the old photos of Grandpa and posting them for everyone to see. Thanks again for reminding us what is important to grandchildren. Another Dahlism - "Being grateful is what makes people great".

Dad